In the 17th century, a Visitation nun in France, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, experienced apparitions from Christ, urging people to practice this devotion, to honour and consecrate themselves to His Most Sacred Heart, which began the practice of devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Also, He requested acts of reparation, frequent Communion and Communion on the First Fridays of the month (nine consecutive Fridays in a year), and the keeping of Holy Hours. He also gave St. Margaret Mary twelve promises to those who practise this devotion.
7:00 pm: Holy Mass
8:00pm to 12:00am: Adoration
THE TWELVE PROMISES
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families and will unite families that are divided.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge during life and above all in death.
- I will bestow the blessings of Heaven on all their enterprises.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise quickly to great perfection.
- I will bless those places where the image of My Heart shall be exposed and honoured and will imprint My love on the hearts of those who would wear this image on their person. I will also destroy all disordered movements in them.
- I will give to priests who are animated by a tender devotion to my Divine Heart the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never to be effaced.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence: they will not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their Sacraments. My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.